Season 1Episode 11
So we wrapped up on Rwanda last week and this week, we’re taking you all the way to Tanzania to learn. Just Incase you didn’t know like me until I checked it out, the capital of Tanzania is DODOMA. Their official language is Swahili and they also speak English and Arabic.
First things first😂, let’s talk about meals. We’re looking at a main dish and a soup.
- NDIZI NYAMA (Main Dish)
Ndizi Nyama or green banana with meat or fish is another of the delicious delicacies eaten in Tazania. It is a stew of carrots, onions, tomatoes, pepper, banana and can be served with rice or ugali.
- 1 pound of beef cut into bite-sized cubes (thin cut)
- Black pepper, Red pepper, Tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 plantains, peeled and sliced
- In a pot or pan, bring one cup of water to a boil.
- Add the meat, salt, black pepper, curry powder, and red pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer. (20 minutes)
- While meat is simmering: heat oil in a separate pan.
- Fry the onions in the oil until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for ten minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Reduce heat.
- Add coconut milk. Cover and simmer. (10-15 minutes)
- Add sliced plantains to meat.
- Cook for ten minutes or until meat is done and plantains are tender.
- Combine the onion-tomato-coconut mixture with the meat and plantains. Stir for ten minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and plate meal.
COCONUT BEAN SOUP
- Chopped onion
- 3 tsp margarine or butter
- Chopped green pepper
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 250 ml chopped tomato
- 625 ml canned kidney beans
- 500 ml coconut milk
- Sauté the onions in the butter/margarine
- Add the green peppers and season with curry powder, salt and pepper
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes
- Add kidney beans, coconut milk and water to the mixture and simmer for 10 minutes